Thursday, June 26, 2014

I like FTM data model where you have source, citation and that you canlink a fact to more people.

I like FTM data model where you have source, citation and that you can link a fact to more people. 

BUT http://youtu.be/ElrY5ALsx1Y?t=15m28s here Crista Cowen is resolving conflicts and then she use Excel to compare evidence against each other. I like the way she works BUT she is doing it outside FTM which I feel is a weakness of the user interface of FTM?!?!?

My question is: Do you use other tools than FTM to resolve conflicts or to get an overview. I looked briefly on Evidentia http://evidentiasoftware.com/what-is-evidentia/ and that sounds as a good approach to not be people centric.

Question: Do you feel of any limits with FTM regarding resolving conflicts? Have you tested evidentia or any other tool and can they live together with FTM

BR
Magnus Sälgö
Stockholm, Sweden
http://youtu.be/ElrY5ALsx1Y?t=15m28s

6 comments:

  1. Magnus,

    I use FTM2014 for my research.

    Crista and I do our research differently, especially within FTM2014. BUT that gives YOU options, as a user, to see which works best for YOU.

    I use other research programs, but everything goes into FTM2014.

    Hope that helps.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnus,

    Yes, I use Evidentia and I have blogged about that as well.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. What ever works for YOU, go for it. There are many ways to accomplish our research.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  4. This quote from you sounds promising


     "This program, for me, asks the right questions that help me understand the Genealogical Proof Standard. Each piece of information from these three sources are entered as Claims from these sources. Each Claim is then a piece of Evidence for which we must analyze. What I like about this program is that you can’t move on to the next step until you complete the first, then second. We must right out our evaluation of each piece of Evidence. Then draw our conclusion."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnus Sälgö 

    You will see a MGP (Mastering Genealogical Proof) Category. There are two sets of Archives on the study we did on that that book. 

    I don't think that is what Crista is going to talk about. I have seen her in full day presentations and she does a great job of covering Ancestry.com in general.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.