Friday, June 6, 2014

I have a surname question.

I have a surname question. To try and find more information about my family, I am researching all siblings and children of direct descendants. I have come across a 2nd Great Grand Uncle who was born with the surname Mathews and his headstone has Matthews. All of his children seem to have taken the double t spelling. Do I correct to birth spelling or let it change to what was at death? I haven't gotten actual vital records (as this is a 2nd great grand) but am using census records and as I said his headstone. Is there a "rule" about this situation? Thank you for any help. ~ Michelle

3 comments:

  1. Michelle Deal Yes, that's exactly it! I'm trying to find 'best practice' ... you said it so much more clearly than me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark Stickle - In this case, YOU will have to determine the "best practice", I think. I messed around with mine for a bit, but settled on what I have tried to explain. I tested both MY Input AND the Options on output before I established my best practice on how to handle a Name. That included "unknown" names. I encourage others to determine how to handle those situations.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess my own "best practice" would be this. As I collect information, I will record names exactly as they appear on the source (I use Evidentia). Once I've reviewed all the information, I will choose a preferred spelling for a particular individual's name in my Family Tree Maker (and record the alternates). I will use the principles of GPS regarding evaluating the weight of sources: primary vs secondary, direct vs indirect, etc. I will then write a summary (not exactly a "proof" argument because I can't really "prove" which name is right because they are fluid) and attach it to the person notes in Family Tree Maker. I want others, and myself later, to understand why I chose the preferred version of the name, to show that there was some method to the process. Since publishing my tree online and to others involves displaying one choice of name, I want to remember why I did it.

    Make sense?

    MIchelle

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.