Thursday, June 26, 2014

Best practice traveling to find location, places etc....

Best practice traveling to find location, places etc....

One reason I am fascinated about location based genealogy is my fascination of walking where my ancestors has been.

I have the last weeks done 3 tours and I have started to use a Spot device to track my trip every 20 minutes so that I afterwards can create a nice trip report with the route in it

In Swedish sample trip reports with tracks created with a spot
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2833697
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2825789
http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2794576

The problem I feel as a newbie in geneaology is to prepare for the journey. How to do it in the best way?

I try to be exact in position of a fact if possible using GPS coordinates.

I have seen the possibility to create customized reports and filter on location which works but still it is difficult to find the places. I would like to have places of interest on a map...

As a "workaround" I have tested by hand to create customized Google maps and use my phone to find of what places is near me or how to navigate to a place  and that is a way forward but I would like to have this automated....

Sample Google map created by hand

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zoChSl5nxThM.k8hZw4JnpAe4

Question: Any best practice/advices on how to build your tree and how to easy find a way to visit places "in your tree"?

Sampel blogpost where I have documented the last trip with maps and GPS coordinates, youtube video and a podcast about a house where my fathers mother lived

http://minancestry.blogspot.se/2014/06/slaktforskartur-osterfarnebo.html

My dream is to have like a geocache app interface where you get a lost of find places near you location that belongs to your family tree,,,,,

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2833697

1 comment:

  1. Magnus Sälgö 

    I have already answered your question, the one you asked earlier.

    I don't have any problems with the FTM2014 Place Name Authority. I have blogged about it, how to use it, EVEN Historical Places that no longer exist.

    FTM2014 does NOT use Google Maps, it uses Bing Maps.

    My "best practice" is to use the Place Name Authority that FTM2014 offers and Resolve ALL place names. 

    Since you like to do your work in the Ancestry Member Tree, you WILL have issues with the Map feature. Ancestry does NOT use the Place Name Authority. 

    I suggested my "best practice" for the very reason you want to do. In fact, I used and blogged about the Houses where my family was in the 1940 US Federal Census. Both in Pictures that I took AND the Map feature in FTM2014.

    I can visit a Town, and know everyone who had an event in that place. Down to schools, churches and cemeteries, not to mention houses.

    Yes, it may take some work, but it is worth it. BUT, you can't do it relying on your Ancestry Member Tree UNLESS you manage your file on your computer and upload and sync to your Ancestry Member Tree.

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.