Tuesday, March 29, 2016

FYI - an Update on the RootsWeb website.

FYI - an Update on the RootsWeb website.

I 2nd everything that DearMYRTLE has said about backing up. I run BackBlaze, have a Network Back Up Drive and another USB External Drive for my Genealogy Database.

The KEY for me, is not just Backing Up, BUT to Restore a file or two every once in a while.

Reason: Stuff Breaks. I have an External Drive of Back Ups fail. That was several years worth of Back Ups, but it still failed. I can NOT communicate with that Drive. But it's only a Back Up drive you say .... I had at least two cases, where I needed two of those Back Ups and couldn't access them. They were historical, but I needed them none the less.

Originally shared by DearMYRTLE

Ol' Myrt here is frankly surprised RootsWeb's parent company, Ancestry.com, didn't have a redundancy system in place to ensure a swift recovery when one component of their datacenter fails. That's WHEN not IF hardware fails. Providing for that eventuality is standard operating procedure if the datacenter values it's content. Maybe RootsWeb content isn't valued by Ancestry.com?

http://blog.dearmyrtle.com/2016/03/why-we-shouldnt-trust-our-genealogy-to.html

1 comment:

  1. It is my practice to do nothing about backing anything up. That's because BackBlaze does it for me 24/7. But I shouldn't say "nothing" as I also use a Seagate 1.5T external that I use 3 or 4 times a month to back everything up. Then, BackBlaze backs up my back up! You'll never appreciate redundancy until you need it. It's like interviewing your most senior relatives for your family research. "I should have taken the time to talk with Grandma...and now she's gone!" Trust me, the back-ups are easier!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.