Monday, October 8, 2018

Project Strobe: Protecting your data, improving our third-party APIs,and sunsetting consumer Google+

Project Strobe: Protecting your data, improving our third-party APIs, and sunsetting consumer Google+

https://www.blog.google/technology/safety-security/project-strobe/

This is an FYI - I don't completely understand where the "sunsetting of Google+" will lead us (me), but I am now aware that something is going to happen on Google+ in 2019.

Bottom line, from what I have been reading, the use of Google+, and I am guessing Google+ Communities for the consumer (you and I) is not being used in the way it had been hoped / projected to be used.

I will not say that "facebook won", but certainly from my circles, facebook is where folks are.

Not giving up yet, but wanted you ALL to know what's going on with Google+ and that i am aware of this and looking for another home.

There are entirely too many Family Tree Maker user groups on facebook, so I am not likely to go there. I find them too unfriendly for my taste, have been "kicked off" a couple of times, my words, not blocked, just received too many negative comments. Too much negative energy in these FB groups, so I have un-joined most of them.

The good news, More Time for Research.

Thanks for listening.

Russ
https://www.blog.google/technology/safety-security/project-strobe/

14 comments:

  1. This does not seem right. Surely something can be done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Change is difficult. I am still getting used to the changes from FTM/Ancestry to FTM/MacKiev. Facebook is time consuming and I find it eats away at time I could be doing on FTM. Keep us posted. Your expertise is valuable and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a shame, I deactivated Facebook earlier this year due to unfriendly comments. I hope a new home for the Genealogy communities can be found.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up! You keep us on the cutting edge of technology!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not yet clear to me, what is going to happen to Google Communities. From conversations I have had, we "just don't know", yet. Will keep you posted

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be interested to hear how your decision-making goes, Russ. I respect your opinions and research, and they will influence me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading your post about this, my ears picked up on a NPR piece -
    https://www.npr.org/2018/10/09/655793156/google-shuts-down-google-for-consumers-after-revealing-data-vulnerability
    Does not sound good, and even sounds a little worse than just losing a
    platform for our genealogy conversations. Privacy is a big issue.

    Anita

    ReplyDelete
  8. I signed up for Google+ because others were using it, but it never seemed to be as effective as Facebook in reaching people with events and groups. Half my FB action now comes from private and secret groups. My Google+ friends are trying other platforms such as MeWe.

    "With the clock ticking, Google+ users are warily eyeing their alternatives. A “Google+ Mass Migration” group has already sprung up (on Google+, of course) for “community leaders” to decide “where we go.” The options so far are suitably niche: the privacy-oriented social network MeWe; the decentralized, open-source network Mastodon; and Pluspora, which describes itself as an “online social world where you are in control.” Facebook is absolutely off the table." [https://qz.com/1417299/google-plus-is-dead-meet-the-educators-and-gamers-in-mourning/]

    qz.com - Meet the educators and gamers mourning the death of Google+

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do use Facebook, but I love the friendly help on this page -- will keep watch for your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not and will not use Facebook!
    I would like to see Ancestry type bulliten boards to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bobbie Bowler - don't think so. I am still looking for an alternative

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your comments. It appears that Google is moving the technology that we use here on Google+ to the Enterprize users. They do not appear to have interest in the single person user. As was announced yesterday, the "End Date" has been moved up 3 months.

    I have not found, YET, a reliable platform that has the features I like here.

    In some respect, those of us who like and do family research, have not been providing the Content on Google+ that encouraged other researchers to move to Google+ Those content providers, for what ever reason, chose to put their content else where. Just look at all of the Genealogy related Facebook Groups. Thats where the traffic went.

    This is only my opinion.

    Like most of you, Facebook isn't our first place to go for our research questions.

    I am still looking. I have a contender for the replacement, but not ready to go there.

    Thank you all for your support.

    Cousin Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.