Sunday, February 18, 2018

Does anyone have experience using the online request for SocialSecurity application papers (https://secure.

Does anyone have experience using the online request for Social Security application papers (https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWeb/internet/main.jsp)? I'm trying to decide if the $21 is worth it for my great-grandmother. She was born over 120 years ago, according to the website there should be no reason they can't release the file. Just wondering how long it takes.

Thanks!
Michelle

3 comments:

  1. James Spencer - Ancestry has the Index, and the Claims, but not the SS-5, or at least I haven't see the SS-5 online anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cousin Russ Over 20 years ago I requested a B/C for my grandmother b. ca.1893 from MS Vital Records. They returned my request telling me they had no record. No surprise – dob 1893. About 5 years later I wondered if that search included delayed B/C’s. I found the original request, made a copy and resubmitted the request asking them to search for a delayed certificate. I included a SASE and another fee. A few weeks later I received my SASE. Inside I had her delayed certificate as well as the fee I submitted! On that certificate was listed two documents to prove her birth. One was my mother’s B/C and I think the other was the number of her teaching certificate. I suppose I could request something from SSA but I don’t know what I would need from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marsha Van Ham I have not seen a SS-5 myself, so I am not sure what would be on it. Not sure that one would be online. But, it might be worth writing the SSA to receive a copy.

    Good luck,

    Russ

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments here.